I’m a nerd mother. Not the stereotypical girly girl.
At the moment I only have a boy, so I don’t have to worry about transferring any girly skills.
Why I’m a nerd mother
- I don’t worry about hair, makeup and clothes. As long as I’m clean and presentable, with brushed hair. I like comfortable clothes and it’s a bonus if they look good as well. 😛
- I hate shopping for clothes, shoes and makeup, though I realise it is necessary to do this from time to time. I’d rather spend my money on travel, books and technology.
- I don’t enjoy activities like cooking and cleaning the house, but I suppose very few women do. 😛
- Socialising is not for me. I could sit with my head in books all day. I also enjoy the solitary practise of typing away on my laptop.
- My viewing pleasure mostly includes science fiction shows like Dr Who, Torchwood and Fringe. I also enjoy good horror, like American Horror Story.
So, while the little man will have to learn the manly skills of building stuff, working with tools and riding a motorcycle (only on dirt roads) from his dad, I hope that he will also pick up a few things from his nerdy mother.
I want to give my son:
- A love of reading and writing. I want him to value education in general. We will have to see how this works out, as he can’t sit still for long and wants to be outside all the time.
- An appreciation for good science fiction shows and comedy. This seems to be working, as he already loves Dr Who, the Simpsons and Despicable Me.
- An interest in travel. Money may prove to be somewhat of an obstacle in this regard. 😛
- A love of the outdoors and excercise. I don’t want him to become one of those kids who spends all his time indoors, watching television and playing video games. At the moment he loves playing outside and in the pool.
Ewan loves singing, a talent which he certainly didn’t get from me. When he starts singing the theme song from Dr Who, I will know I’m succeeding in my job as a nerd mother. 😛